It has been 30 years of talk but West Australian Premier Colin Barnett says the redevelopment of the Perth waterfront is finally going ahead with construction to start early next year.
The premier announced on Tuesday cabinet has approved $270 million in funding for the project in next year’s budget with construction expected to be completed in mid-2014.
Mr Barnett said that despite decades of talk from successive Liberal and Labor governments over the project, which will transform the Perth’s Swan River foreshore, he could now guarantee it would become a reality.
“I can reassure the people of Perth, there has been a lot of talk, a lot of design and discussions about the Perth waterfront over at least the last 30 years, the project now is formally underway,” he told reporters.
The design for the project had been chosen and will include a 2.7 hectare inlet, a boardwalk and promenade which will link to a man-made island.
It will also include residential, retail and commercial office space as well as a national Indigenous Cultural Centre which will be built once the waterfront project is completed.
Finally. I’m just curious as to what’s happening with Riverside Drive…